Context and Objectives:
The 10-Year Framework of Programmes on Sustainable Consumption and Production Patterns (10YFP), adopted at Rio+20 in 2012, is a global platform for action to enhance international cooperation and advance the implementation of SCP at regional and national levels. The adoption of the stand-alone Goal 12 on “Ensuring Sustainable Consumption and Production Patterns” and the integration of this objective in many of the 17 goals and 169 targets agreed in the agenda, has reaffirmed that sustainable consumption and production is an essential requirement for sustainable development. The 10YFP is recognized as a key implementation mechanism for the SDGs, through a specific target calling for its implementation (12.1) in Agenda 2030. The 10YFP also responds to goal 17 of the SDGs, which calls for a revitalized global partnership for sustainable development. At the request of the international community, UN Environment has been serving as the Secretariat of the 10YFP since its adoption in 20121.
South-South cooperation, as well as triangular cooperation is key to achieving the objectives of the 10YFP as a global platform, as well as to mainstream sustainable consumption and production patterns worldwide. The South-South Cooperation Conference on Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP), organized by the Brazilian Ministry of the Environment and UN Environment, aims at fostering South-South cooperation for SCP in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, as a means of achieving the SDGs. The objectives are as follows:
- Highlight projects and initiatives which change consumption and production patterns in Latin America and the Caribbean and Africa, responding to countries’ needs and priorities;
- Facilitate sharing of experience and best practices on SCP, opportunities for replication and scaling up from both regions and various sectors of society;
- Showcase successful strategies and instruments for more business engagement, entrepreneurship and behavioral change for SCP, identifying opportunities for South-South cooperation;
- Build an implementation-oriented dialogue on South-South cooperation for SCP, engaging policy-makers, business civil society operators, cooperation agencies and donor institutions;
- Provide concrete recommendations for 10YFP implementation for the next five years (2018-2022) to foster South-South cooperation in these two regions and the rest of the world.
South-South Cooperation Conference on SCP: Press Release
South-South Cooperation Conference: Agenda