The overall objective of SWITCH Africa Green is to support 6 countries in Africa to achieve sustainable development by engaging in transition towards an inclusive green economy, based on sustainable consumption and production patterns, while generating growth, creating decent jobs and reducing poverty. The objective will be achieved through support to private sector led inclusive green growth.
The specific objective is to support the development of green businesses and eco-entrepreneurship and use of SCP practices by having in place:
- MSMEs and business service providers that are better equipped to seize opportunities for green business development.
- Better informed public and private consumers,
- Enabling conditions in form of clear policies, sound regulatory frameworks, incentives structures, tax, other fiscal and market-based instruments influencing key sector(s) in the 6 African countries.
The project will focus on 1-3 sectors in each country with good opportunities for advancing green business development and SCP practices. Sector choices depend on the specific circumstances and opportunities in the countries, and will be identified after country level stocktaking and consultation with key stakeholders.
Projects on the ground will focus specifically on:
- Capturing market opportunities for resource efficient.
- Green goods and services and supporting local eco-entrepreneurs starting up and developing green business ventures (growing “green” sectors) in e.g. sustainable agriculture, conservation of ecosystem services (including biodiversity), and businesses that increase resource efficiency and decrease pollution over the full life cycle of products (i.e. from 'cradle to cradle').
- Furthermore some projects could focus on awareness and capacity building for M&SMEs to apply SCP practices particularly in sectors that have a higher potential of job creation and social inclusion such as agriculture, manufacturing, waste disposal and recycling and building.
Download SAG-Project Documentation